Thursday, February 5, 2009

Shhhh!

I was filling out one of those online surveys a few days ago (thanks to my faithful e-mail buddy Janci) and one of the questions was, "When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?"  I wanted to be a librarian so I could read to kids and use the Dewey Decimal System to assist those crazy, non-library users.  I loved that date stamp they used to use and I would pretend to stamp my own books or, if I was lucky, my borrowed books with that clear covering that always smelled like the library and made that great crinkling sound.  
I went to the library tonight.  It's one of those places that I forget about and love rediscovering again every once in awhile.  What a great idea!  It may be the one good thing government does do right, lol.  It's like shopping without spending money!  You can't do that with cars or clothes (at least you shouldn't!) or shoes.  And it's not just books either; it's cds and movies too.  I went in search of one book and didn't realize until I left that I didn't even look for it.  I got engulfed in all types of genres.  

I preface my next sentence by saying that even though I have red hair and sometimes wear my glasses, I don't consider myself to be a nerd.  I could have been mistaken for one tonight, though.  I ended up spending most of my time at the library reading a long encyclopedia entry about Spain (the place I most want to visit).  I brought home a book on speed reading, something I've always been intrigued by (and jealous of), as well as a book on how to read Spanish more easily (please know that I can't speak much at all - I've forgotten what little I knew and am trying to regain the knowledge).  
I'm currently not taking any classes and I haven't been for the longest period of time since I entered Kindergarten.  I must say that it's weird going home from work with no homework to do at night.  I'm not complaining one bit, mind you, but for the first time I realized that I like learning.  It's a lot easier to say that when you're not being tested on you knowledge, lol.  Now that I'm not taking classes I've been watching way too much television and wasting the brain cells that God gave me.
Therefore, like LeVar from Reading Rainbow, I encourage you to put your remote down and take advantage of the local public library near you :)

P.S.  If anyone has read The Shack, (if anyone reads this blog, lol) please let me know what you think.  I've heard differing views and want to read it myself.  Thanks!

2 comments:

Erin said...

haha! I love you! and...you're doing great actually writing on your blog...I've given up (for now). Justin started reading The Shack because everyone we knew was pretty skeptical of it (including us) and it has totally blown him away. Since he is still the same husband I married, he has not yet finished it, but he has shared a lot of it with me and I would recommend reading it based on what he has shared with me. It seems to give amazing analogies for God, which is so difficult to do. I hope to read it soon. His dad read it (all the way through) and cried! When this baby boy comes (no, we don't know his name), I have big plans to be a regular patron of the library. I haven't even stepped foot in it since we moved here! See you soon!

Linda said...

Hey daughter, think I mentioned to you thru email that the Blackwelders told us how much they
both have enjoyed reading "The Shack" and think someone loaned
them the book but they plan to
look for it to purchase. Think
I'll try Books A Million and buy
it probably paperback if they got
it. I need to keep Dad painting
instead of reading right now but
he does need a break. May not
get before becoming a Grandmother.
Can you believe the due date's
only two weeks away. EXCITING!