Tuesday, March 4, 2008

B is for Bathroom

Yesterday morning I woke up and headed down the hall for the bathroom.  I closed the door behind me and looked down to see the doorknob (one of those old-timey crystal knobs) on the floor.  When I turned around, I realized that the door was completely closed and I had no way of getting out. Well, I looked for any tool that I could use to escape (its amazing what things you can find in a bathroom closet) but the only thing I came up with was a fingernail file (compliments of my great aunt Nett).  I played with the lock for awhile and made no progress. I went to the window and discovered that it's not painted shut - it would open.  I decided to leave this as my final alternative.  At this point I thought that the situation could be worse; I was surrounded by important "utilities,"  would be very clean by the time I was discovered (Katie would hopefully be home by 2:30 p.m.) and I had plenty of reading material to keep me occupied.  Then, I went back to the door and was able to use the fingernail file to "finangle" (probably not a real word) the lock until it popped open.  I hopped in the shower and fortunately managed to make it to work right on time...that said, B is for Bathroom.
P.S.  Please don't call me to break into any houses...I'm not proud of my new-found talent.  :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

hilarious!! I really think that this is going to happen to me soon. Our bathroom doorknob is a little tricky and it doesn't help that you went around all day Saturday saying, "Your doorknobs are just like ours!"

In regards to your comment...don't come crawling to me when you're at the end of the alphabet needing ideas!! It's not as easy as it looks! (Not that I make it look easy!)

And...SO glad you're in the blogging world!

Linda said...

Jeni,
Can't believe you didn't panic
while being locked in your "bathroom" so early in the A.M. and needing to be at work
on time. Soooo glad you and your
ingenuity of the use of a finger
nail file(never take it out of
there)worked so well--the second
time you pursued to finagle that
lock--PROUD of you! Yes finagle is a word but not sure I spelled it
right. Take care of that crystal
doorknob (or is it glass). They
don't make them like that any more. Glad you had an alternative
but didn't have to use it!